A regional branded cookie and biscuit Company selling to major retailers through a direct-to-store delivery function.
The Company had been owned and managed by a large corporation until a Fort Dearborn led group purchased the assets.
Fort Dearborn led many of the strategic decisions and business restructuring initiatives including:
- Raised the investment capital and debt financing to fund the acquisition.
- During its first year after acquisition, the new entity eliminated a prior year operating loss of over $8 million and returned to the Company to profitability, reducing its debt and working capital investment.
- Led initiatives to redesign packaging and enhance marketing efforts to reenergize tired products.
- Reorganized the delivery function to reduce operating expenses through improved logistics and enhanced transportation efficiency.
- The Company’s overall plan was to grow through acquisition of select regional cookie and biscuit companies. Fort Dearborn initiated contact with a comparable regional competitor to explore their desire to sell. After evaluating the benefits of a potential acquisition of other competitors, it was determined to sell the Company, rather than pursue acquisitions.
- Fort Dearborn acted as exclusive transaction advisor in the successful sale of the Company