• Fort Dearborn was hired to conduct a strategic planning process to: address the current business environment; evaluate critical issues facing the company; define corporate goals; and prepare work plans to support each functional goal.
FDP worked with management to:
• Perform a distribution channel analysis which identified the true profitability and growth segments for the business , leading to the aggressive pursuit of warehouse club sales and the food service channel.
• Begin a bakery operation with the introduction of a new product at the time (the “mini” bagel dog) and its geographic roll-out for the warehouse club channel.
• Refine marketing programs to warehouse clubs and supermarkets through the introduction of new “bakery” products targeted advertisement and promotional programs for product line extensions.
• Implement a regular product pruning process to simplify product line offering.
• Initiate a program to better manage new product introductions through:
• Implementation of a product development and testing process, and
• Implementation of line extension procedures taking into account sales/volume requirements and cost feasibility
• Address manufacturing capacity constraints through a two-year plan of facility layout redesign and targeted capital expenditures.